windows 10

Sam Overdorf
I recently upgraded from windows 7 to window 10.

Now for some reason it takes a long time for "erl" to start.

Any ideas about what is different on windows 10.

Thanks,
Sam Overdorf

Re: windows 10

Edward Halls
Maybe it had to gwt permission from the nsa for you to run that executable. So the time it takes to phone their server and back?

Jokes aside, it could be caching and the built in virus scanner. May only affect you the first time for every new version of the executable. Win10 is just heavier that Win7 for some reason.

Ed

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020, 16:53 Sam Overdorf, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I recently upgraded from windows 7 to window 10.

Now for some reason it takes a long time for "erl" to start.

Any ideas about what is different on windows 10.

Thanks,
Sam Overdorf

Re: windows 10

Luke Bakken-2
Hi Sam,

You may be "experiencing" this bug - https://bugs.erlang.org/browse/ERL-716

Are you using a VM to run Windows? If so, be sure you have at least 2
virtual CPUS allocated to it.

Luke

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 2:53 PM Sam Overdorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I recently upgraded from windows 7 to window 10.
>
> Now for some reason it takes a long time for "erl" to start.
>
> Any ideas about what is different on windows 10.
>
> Thanks,
> Sam Overdorf

Re: windows 10

zxq9-2
On 2020/02/13 7:53, Sam Overdorf wrote:
> I recently upgraded from windows 7 to window 10.
>
> Now for some reason it takes a long time for "erl" to start.
>
> Any ideas about what is different on windows 10.

How slow are we talking? 2~3 seconds, or longer?

I've noticed that erl.exe starts much slower on Windows (~2s) than Linux
(0.1~0.4s), but from what I've seen it is about the same on both Windows
7 and 10. I'm not sure why the Windows build is so much slower, though.

I haven't had any users complain, but my particular case is a bit more
sensitive to slowish startup times (running client-side code using ZX or
Vapor to launch it) than the case of running back-end systems that start
once and run forever.

This seems to happen with several other programs as well, though, so it
seems like Windows users are conditioned to it -- though I certainly
wish the situation could be improved (I also wish for cross-platform
audio and video lib bindings, and a build of erl.exe that doesn't *have*
to open a Windows console when it is run, but I digress...).

-Craig

Re: windows 10

Dan Gudmundsson-3
Hmm it's not that bad for me (from wsl) on a corporate windows laptop,
thus with every virus-scanner available enabled.

> time erl.exe -s erlang halt

real    0m0.360s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.016s